A Bit of Dating Advice: Stop Using LOL. Really, Just Stop.

27 Jan

If you use “LOL” in a non-ironic fashion, I can’t date you.

It’s staggering how many men over 30 pepper their online dating profiles, emails and texts with “LOL” or “LMAO,” etc. Not only are they using outdated text message lingo designed for teenagers, they aren’t even using it properly!

LOL guy

Stop saying LOL

Note the following examples from Match.com profiles/messages:

“I hope you enjoy romance, wit, and drinking good beer lol.”
“How’s your weekend been? Mine’s been lazy. LOL.”
“I believe everyone has a soul mate. I hope to find her soon lol.”
“Willing to say we met in a grocery store lmao.”
“Sometimes I enjoy relaxing with a good movie lol lame.”

Quick refresher – LOL is short for laugh out loud. It’s not the latest punctuation mark. You don’t just pop it into the end of random sentences.

None of the phrases above even warrant a “LOL.” Why is it so funny that you hope to find your soul mate? Does having a lazy weekend literally cause you to crack up uncontrollably? If thinking about relaxing with a good movie or downing craft beer is forcing you to erupt in hysterical laughter, I can only assume you’re either high on drugs, mentally slow or fucked up in the head.

“LOL” use is NEVER casual. LOLers can’t contain themselves. Once “LOL” rears its ugly head, you can be damned sure millions more will follow. Tell someone you had a busy day and can’t wait to veg out under a blanket, you’ll be met with an “LOL.” Suggest a new restaurant for dinner and the likely response will be, “LMAO. Sounds great.”

Whoever said that it’s hard to get to know someone through text messaging was wrong. I can tell plenty about a person from the moment a “LOL” or “LMAO” appears on my phone screen.

Before text language became standard, I used to think “LOL” meant “loser online.” Seriously. It’s more fitting.

Anyways, if you’re over the age of 27, stop saying “LOL.” You sound like a dumb ass.

*Emoticons are tolerable with limited usage.

17 Responses to “A Bit of Dating Advice: Stop Using LOL. Really, Just Stop.”

1. The Pedlar January 27, 2013 at 4:31 pm #

Quite. If someone writes LOL in their profile my immediate reaction is WTF?!?

2. Kelly January 27, 2013 at 5:56 pm #

I REFUSE to date a man that uses LOL too! I immediately put a man in the “I don’t even want to be your friend-zone” as soon as this is used. No exceptions.

3. terri January 27, 2013 at 6:08 pm #

i hate both, LOL and LMAO too…..i have to admit, i use in my quick texts sometimes, but please do not put in your dating profile….my other pet peeve, are men that can not spell….i know that sounds kind of bitchy, but if you can not spell, words that are pretty common in the english language, it just bothers me!!!!!!!!

• Summer January 27, 2013 at 9:22 pm #

Right? How hard is it to type it in Word beforehand? What’s even worse is that Match.com has its own spell check. If you spell a word wrong, it underlines it for you. I’m a former English teacher, so I’m in the same boat. I can’t date someone who misspells words in their profile.

4. terrid614 January 27, 2013 at 6:09 pm #

i think it ate my first comment….but i could not agree more! i hate LMAO even more than LOL….but i also hate when guys can not spell. i get if the word is slightly difficult, however, common words in the english language……c’mon…..

5. snarkatussin January 27, 2013 at 7:01 pm #

I don’t respond to text messages from anyone when LOL is used — I also don’t respond to text messages when “r” and “u” are used as words…

I did LOL though when I was reading the Match.com quotes. Maybe these men live such boring lives that the thought of drinking a beer has them giddy with excitement ;-)

• Crystal W. (@EatDrinkClev) January 28, 2013 at 8:35 am #

I can’t stand when people abbreviate words ridiculously too. L8r for example and can’t spell or punctuate. Is it stupidity or laziness? Regardless – annoying!

• daterofboys January 28, 2013 at 9:15 am #

Agreed! I mean, I find typing on my iphone a little difficult at times, but if I put in the effort to write it out, you should too!

• Mel January 28, 2013 at 2:13 pm #

Dating profiles/messages aside, it sincerely bothers me when people type “u” instead of “you.” They will type out every other word, but u. HUMANITY PET PEEVE!

• Summer February 3, 2013 at 10:11 pm #

I hate that too! Or the “ur” for “your.” “2” instead of “too” drives me insane as well!

• Summer February 3, 2013 at 10:13 pm #

I think it’s both! The guys I see using the text abbreviations are never the sharpest tools in the shed.

6. thereluctantranter January 28, 2013 at 5:13 am #

Funny piece! Perhaps women should start using a new acronym for these situations such as YAL (You are Lame).

• Summer February 3, 2013 at 10:13 pm #

They might confuse it for “YOLO” and get really turned on.

7. unchainedsoul January 28, 2013 at 4:03 pm #

You know what I seriously LOLed when I read this post. I am aware using LOL in the past tense is even worse. I like old fashioned guys, who use punctuation marks and periods after their sentences. I enjoyed a breath of fresh air when I had to explain to my boyfriend that what TMI meant. He said he didn’t know because all that “young people lingo” is lost on him. He is 42 mind you, so I don’t know what young people he’s talking about. He’s not exactly grandpa yet. But thanks for your post, I agree wholeheartedly. Men need to stop doing this shit. It’s a panty picker-upper not a panty dropper. LOL!

• Summer February 3, 2013 at 10:10 pm #

Right? LOL isn’t the new period. I see plenty of 42-year-olds “LOLing” it up on Match too. How sad. Sigh… it is so unappealing!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Why You Shouldn’t LOL on Your Dating Profile | WebDatingLife - Blog - February 11, 2013

[...] March 24th 2011, LOL was formally recognized by the Oxford English Dictionary. From texting and internet communications, [...]