Navigating the Cleveland Dating Scene – Meet The Narcissist

25 Mar

Last time I checked, having money and a business handed to you courtesy of your folks shouldn’t give you a license to behave like a boorish, egotistical prick. Apparently, this Cleveland single thought otherwise. I’ve met all types of men while participating in this online dating extravaganza of hell, but James proved to be a memorable character.

On top of having an attractive profile picture, cute dogs and proper spelling, James made it a point to announce his well over six-figure income on his page. Let’s face it, a nice dog-loving guy who is hot and rich every girl’s fantasy. (Keyword= fantasy)

Unfortunately, the nice part doesn’t often accompany the other parts. At least with the ones I’ve encountered in the past year. James proved to be no exception.I went out with this guy James multiple times last week. (Mostly because he wouldn’t stop pushing me to hang out with him after date number one. He knew how to trap me into saying yes.)  He fit rather well into the narcissistic psychopath type that always has me swooning. So, of course I was instantly attracted.

narcissistic man

Yep – he told me again and again… and again..

I had two dates with James. I’m quite positive I can recite his life story at this point because he loves nothing more than talking about himself. James never got the memo that a conversation involves two people. After our first dinner date, I wondered if James even knew my first name. The attraction was waning. At least the filet was good.

When our second date came around, I clung to the hope that he might have run out of things to say. Seriously, he told me his life story on date one, how much more could there be? Perhaps he was just nervous… I talk a ton when I’m nervous. Maybe it would be better? Oh, how wrong I was.

Thankfully, half of the date was spent at the Hunger Games movie so he was forced to be silent. The other half involved him going on.. and on.. and on… about himself and how great he was for a solid few hours while we grabbed drinks and dinner. If I tried to respond to his stories or even engage in a conversation, James would just loudly talk over me. Pretty much, it had to be all about James all the time. James, James, James. He loved listening to himself talk. He’s also convinced that he’s “kind of a big deal.”  A legend in his own mind is more like it.

Narcissist

Dating a narcissist

Over the two dates, I don’t recall James asking me a single question. Still don’t even think James knows what I do for a living or any other basic info about me, but he used my name… so he actually listened for a second and remembered that. Shocking.

(Speaking of egotistical asses… check out this site dedicated to the sensational ego of a fellow Clevelander.  Wink, Wink.. you’re welcome for the link.)

9 Responses to “Navigating the Cleveland Dating Scene – Meet The Narcissist”

1. Theo Black March 25, 2012 at 11:27 pm #

Listen to your inner smart person, Cleveland. Instincts are there for a reason, you know.

• Summer March 25, 2012 at 11:44 pm #

Indeed they are and I need to do a better job of listening to them. That being said, I will not be seeing James again.

2. Unconfirmed Bachelorette March 26, 2012 at 10:58 pm #

That dog is awesome. And I think I heard him say, “Run away from the narcissist! Run fast and don’t look back!”

• Summer March 31, 2012 at 12:54 pm #

I know. I need to listen to that dog. I think I should make a photo copy to keep in my wallet to serve as a reminder on future dates.

3. snarkatussin March 27, 2012 at 9:18 pm #

I don’t see the problem. Seems lovely!

I like to have a list of questions for times like these — feel free to add to the mix:

1. You strike me as a man who owns cats. How many do you have? I refuse to accept, “I don’t have any cats” as a response.

2. How many scars do you have? Which is your coolest scar?

These types of questions generally cause confusion and let me entertain myself when the guy sucks.

• DixieCJ March 28, 2012 at 11:12 am #

I’m going to use your questions. They are awesome.

• Summer March 31, 2012 at 12:53 pm #

“I refuse to accept ‘I don’t have cats’ as a response.” That’s proves for some comedic gold!

4. DixieCJ March 28, 2012 at 11:11 am #

Wow. Are you sure his name wasn’t Adrian (as in Elder Adrian from my first entry)? Yeah, no, Adrian would have asked you to help him pay for the filet.

Narcissists are amazing and dangerous creatures, aren’t they? I’m surprised he made it to the second date. Ick. Good story, though!

I’ve decided that the next time I go out with a guy who can’t shut up, I’ll just get up and leave without a word. Just grab my purse and walk out of the restaurant. It’ll feel good, I think.

• Summer March 31, 2012 at 1:01 pm #

No – his name isn’t Adrian. He has now miraculously made it to the fourth date. Only because he’s behaving like a normal human being at the moment and engaging in A-B conversations now. To say he’s on notice is an understatement. I figure I’ll give him a shot every once in awhile and see if he can keep the nice act up. He won’t.
      However, when he’s not acting like a self absorbed narcissist, he’s rather enjoyable. Beyond fun. Narcissists are captivating little fuckers, aren’t they?